Celebrate a healthy Women’s Day!
- by Medihelp
- 09 August 2017
- 1544 view(s)
Every year on 9 August, we celebrate Women’s Day by honouring the women whom we respect and admire. This celebration can take many forms, from a simple email to thank the superwomen in your life for their support, to a high-octane event complete with speeches and party favours.
Whatever you choose to do this year, remember to remind all the women you know to take care of their most valuable asset – their health.
Lay a healthy foundation
- Assess your eating habits and make small, but significant changes such as limiting your sugar and alcohol intake.
- Include 30 minutes of movement in each day. It improves your mood and helps with weight control.
- Get enough sleep. Most adults need 6 to 8 hours per night.
- Stay hydrated. Your body needs water to perform most of its functions.
- Balance stress with pleasant experiences such as a hobby or time spent with good friends.
Check up on your health
- Visit your pharmacy or clinic for an annual health screening. This is crucial, as early detection of a disease might save your life. Many diseases are not symptomatic at the start.
- If you’re uncertain about your diet, speak to a qualified nutritionist to ensure you’re providing sufficiently in your body’s current needs.
- Update any necessary vaccinations and/or chronic treatments.
- Go for an annual check-up at the dentist, even if you don’t have any problems.
- Build a trusting relationship with your doctor. If you ever need urgent medical help, your doctor will be able to provide an accurate history of your health and this could save your life.
Crucial check-ups for women
Below are basic recommended health check-ups, which you can claim from your Medihelp preventive care benefits, depending on your benefit option. Your doctor or clinic sister might also refer you for other examinations and/or tests, depending on your situation.
- Blood pressure screening
- Cholesterol screening
- Diabetes screening
- Dental exam
- Eye exam
- Physical exam. Your GP or local clinic sister can do this. He/she will ask you questions about your lifestyle, calculate your body mass index (BMI), ask about your mental state, smoking and drinking habits and do general health checks.
- Pelvic exam and pap smear to check for cervical cancer. This screening should start within three years of becoming sexually active or by age 21 and be repeated annually.
- Breast exam. Even if you do regular self-exams, you should have your breasts checked for cancer annually, especially if you have a family history of breast cancer. This can be done by your gynaecologist along with your pelvic exam. He/she might also refer you for a mammogram.
Nurture good health
- Join HealthPrint, Medihelp’s free online wellness programme available exclusively to Medihelp members. You can capture and update your profile and health information on HealthPrint and track your health journey.
- Join Medihelp MultiSport for walkers, runners and cyclists. MultiSport members receive 50% discount on their MultiSport gear and free entry to all Medihelp sponsored events.
This Women’s Day, give yourself the gift of peace of mind by making sure your health is your priority. While you’re at it, inspire all the women in your life to do the same so you can enjoy the gift of their friendship for many years to come.
Medihelp wants to assist you on your journey to good health and well-being. Click here to find out more about our range of benefit options.