June – Men’s Health Month
- by Medihelp
- 13 June 2017
- 851 view(s)
June is Men’s Health Month and it’s the perfect time to remind all men that when it comes to their health, prevention really is better than cure. By having a simple health test done you can detect a potentially serious health risk before it becomes a major problem, and change your lifestyle to prevent illness.
Medihelp’s Dimension Prime 3 benefit option offers excellent preventive care benefits to assist you in living a healthy lifestyle. What’s more, if you opt for the network alternative you can save up to 20% on your monthly contribution.
In addition to your core benefits, Dimension Prime 3 also offers the following benefits:
- An annual combo test to measure your blood glucose, cholesterol, BMI and blood pressure;
- An annual prostate test (PSA level) for men older than 40 years;
- An annual flu vaccination;
- A non-pathology HIV test and voluntary counselling for all beneficiaries; and
- A Document-Based Care back treatment programme per beneficiary per year at a DBC facility (subject to protocols and pre-authorisation).
Did you know?
- Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in South African men.
- If detected early, you have a 98% chance of surviving beyond five years.
- All men who are older than 50 should have an annual PSA test done. If you have a family history of prostate cancer, you should have the PSA screening from 45 onwards.
What is a PSA test?It’s a simple blood test that determines the concentration of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in your blood. It is currently the prime testing method for prostate cancer.
Tips for excellent health
- Go for your annual health tests.
- Follow a healthy diet and moderate exercise programme.
- Stop smoking and limit your alcohol intake.
- Deal with stress in healthy ways.
- Get enough sleep.
- Create awareness. Share this information with all the men you know.
Medihelp wants to assist you on your journey to good health and well-being. Click here to find out more about our range of benefit options.