On Women’s Day we commemorate the women’s march to the Union Buildings that took place 64 years ago. It is also a time to reflect on progress made, to celebrate acts of courage and determination by ordinary women who have played an extraordinary role in their own homes, their place of work and their communities.
80% of Medihelp’s current staff complement consists of women who represent our brand and provide support to our 200 000 beneficiaries. This Women’s Day, take some time to look after your own health.Lay a healthy foundation
- Assess your eating habits. Eat fresh, whole food and limit alcohol and sugar intake.
- Incorporate 30 minutes of moderate exercise three times a week.
- Get enough sleep – most adults need 6 to 8 hours a night.
- Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily
- Balance stress with mini-breaks during the day and downtime with hobbies.
Reach out for help
- Visit your pharmacy or doctor for an annual health screening. The early detection of health issues can save your life.
- If you’re uncertain about your diet, ask a qualified nutritionist to assist you with a diet that suits you.
- Update any necessary vaccinations and make sure that your prescriptions for chronic treatments have been filled.
- Visit the dentist for an annual check-up.
- Check on your mental health and discuss any concerns with a trusted counsellor.
- Blood pressure screening.
- Cholesterol screening.
- Diabetes screening.
- Body-mass index assessment.
- Annual dental exam.
- Regular vision test.
- Pelvic exam to assess gynaecological health and Pap smear to check for cervix cancer.
- Monthly breast self-examinations.
- Mammogram to check for breast cancer.
- Bone mineral density scans after menopause or if there is a high risk for osteoporosis.
- Colon cancer screening.
Medihelp provides for your healthFemale Medihelp members have access to excellent preventive care benefits such as mammograms, Pap smears and annual screenings for blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol. Have a look at our options here and leave your details – we will ensure that a Medihelp accredited adviser gives you a call to help you select the perfect solution for your individual healthcare needs.
Medihelp also offers members an exclusive, free online health and wellness platform called HealthPrint where you can create and update your personal health profile, join programmes relating to your health and gain access to a wealth of information.