South Africa back on lockdown alert level 1
President Cyril Ramaphosa has announced that South Africa will move to lockdown level 1 as from Friday, 1 October 2021.
- Curfew from 00:00 to 04:00.
- Non-essential establishments such as restaurants must close at 23:00 to allow employees to return home before the curfew begins.
- The number of people that may attend funerals increases from 50 to 100 people.
- The number of people allowed at indoor gatherings increases to 750 and at outdoor gatherings to 2 000 people or no more than 50% of the venue’s capacity.
- Alcohol sales are permitted according to normal licensing provisions, but no alcohol may be sold after 23:00.
- It remains mandatory to wear a mask in a public space.
- No spectators are allowed at sporting events.
- Night vigils at funerals are still not permitted.